The separate apartments were built in 2004 in the style of former shore warehouses and are suitable for even the most demanding tastes in terms of equipment level and comfort.
Why Wanha Pappila?
Situated by the Bothnian Bay in the beautiful and historic Simo region, these self-catering cottages feature waterfront views, a private sauna and free WiFi. The location is in a peaceful rural village in the middle of nature. The beach is just a few steps away, although during the winter it’s completely frozen. The area offers many activities, such as hiking on nearby trails, salmon fishing in the Simojoki river and skiing.
– Kemi-Tornio airport 30 min
– Kemi railway station 20 min
– Sweden (Haparanta, Ikea) 40 min
– Oulu 1 hour
– Rovaniemi 1,5 hour
– Ranua Zoo 1,2 hour
Summer and winter activities
There are also many possibilities for independent activities in the nearby area. Popular options are fishing and canoeing, either in the sea, or the nearby river, Simojoki. Simojoki is a free flowing salmon river.
Among other options are nature hikes, and berry and mushroom picking in the nearby forests. One popular location is the Martimoaapa conservation area. During winter, some of the popular activities in the area are skiing and snowshoeing.
The ten cottages of Wanha Pappila have two separate bedrooms each, a TV lounge with an open fireplace and a kitchenette. Underfloor heating is provided in the whole cottage. Bathrobes and bedding are included in the prices. Breakfast is delivered to the cottages.
Equipment of cottages
Dishwasher, Microwave, Fridge, Coffee- and tea maker, A dining table for six people
Bathroom and sauna
TV, free Wi-Fi
Prices include breakfast, bed linen, towels, firewood and final cleaning service.
Cruise to Kalliosaari island with Seksmiilar boat
Experience the beautiful archipelago in Simo
With the boat Seksmiilar the owners arrange cruises to the nearby islands. One of them is Kalliosaari, which has colorful history of being inhabited and home for sawmill workers in the past.
The cruises are arranged June – October and an order beforehand is required.
Kalliosaari (Kallio-island) is in the outskirt of Simoniemi, about 3 km from the mainland. Remains of the Kallio saw is to be found on the island. The saw ended in 1925.
Originally the saw worked as a water sledge at Simonjoki in Kalliokoski. The sawmill was founded in 1841 by Andreas Niska J.A. Gastren and O. Lundström. From there it was transferred to Koivuluoto.
Kallio Saw got its name from Simo rivers first water-saw about 20 km from Simojoki’s mouth at Kalliokoski: Saha worked from 1840 to 1874 when it was sold to Swedes.